I’m sending information on this current grant opportunity from Gen Forward. There are two grant info sessions next week if you would like more info. Feel free to pass this along to others who might be interested. – Jennifer
You are invited to apply for the Gen Forward Network/Community Foundation of Greater Flint’s Year Four grant program!
What is the Gen Forward Network?
We are a network of emerging philanthropists working for the greater good of Genesee County. Members contribute to a common grantmaking pool to support annual grants in a focus area of their own choosing.
- To increase the impact of our charitable dollars by learning and working together
- To be involved in addressing the needs of our community
- To continue the community’s legacy of generosity by fostering a new generation of philanthropists
Funding Priority and Criteria
The members of the Gen Forward Network have selected employment as the funding priority for the 2016 grantmaking cycle. Proposals will be considered that include innovation (approaching solutions to community issues in a non-traditional way), and focus on the support of a project or program that has the potential for significant, lasting change on Flint and/or Genesee County.
A request in this category may include, but is not limited to:
- Creation of jobs
- Youth employment
- Job skills training
- Economic development
Priority consideration will be given to organizations that meet the following criteria:
- Organizations focused on collaboration (two or more organizations working in partnership on a shared goal).
- Organizations with a social enterprise strategy
- Start-up organizations (an organization established within the past 5 years).
- Organizations with operating budgets under $500,000.
- Organizations with projects/programs that will increase the visibility of Gen Forward in the community.
One grant of at least $12,000 will be awarded in November 2016. The amount of the 2016 award will be determined based on membership contributions.
Grant Information Sessions
You are strongly encouraged to attend an information session on July 19, 1-2pm, or on July 21, 5:30-6:30pm at the Community Foundation of Greater Flint, to learn more about this grant opportunity and the Gen Forward Network, and to share your proposal idea with a staff member or Network member. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (810) 767-3508 to reserve your spot.
- July 19, 1-2pm – Grant Information Session
- July 21, 5:30-6:30pm – Grant Information Session
- August 12, end of day – Grant applications due
- September 26 – Grant applications reviewed by grantmaking committee
- October 6, 5-7pm – Select applicants invited to a “meet the applicants” event
- October 6-13 – Membership votes to determine grant finalists
- October 27, 5-7pm – Grant finalists present to membership
- October 27 – November 10 – Membership votes to select grantee
- November 17 – Grantee press conference
How to apply
Organizations invited to apply include neighborhood associations, community and civic groups, non-profit organizations, educational institutions and places of worship within Genesee County. Organizations must be identified as or be partnered with a 501(c)3 public charity to apply for funding.
To apply, your organization will need to have a username and password to access the Community Foundation’s online application. For more information, please call Jennifer Farrington, program officer at (810) 767-3508.